SDR# (read SDR Sharp) is a high performance Software Defined Radio application. It is written in C# with both object design correctness and performance in mind. The project started as a simple proof of concept program to get hands into DSP techniques and has evolved to what it is today: A fully featured SDR capable of handling samplerates from kHz level soundcards up to multi hundred MHz dedicated samplers, thanks to its multi-core architecture. The source code is disclosed for educational purposes and for reference to those who want to build their own plugins.
Do you still think C# is too slow for DSP? Give it a try and compare with some Intel’s IPP powered concurrents out there.

SDR# reading a 2MSPS file recorded using RFSPACE's SDR-IP

746 Responses to Welcome

1. Richard K. says:

Dear Sir(s),

i used an R820T usb dongle with SDR# (great stuff!) as a low-cost sprectrum analyser to evaluate the spectrum of a self-build oscillator circuit at 433MHz.
    Interesting to me is the strengh of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th harmonic to optimise the circuit.

Would it be possible to widen the maximum ‘span’ of SDR#?

For the use as a spectrum analyser, it would be helpful to start with a wide span, let´s say serveral hundred MHz. This is helpful when the oscillator frequency is unknown…
    At the moment, the span is limited to approx. 3MHz. Or is this limited due to technically reasons?

Maybe my question is somewhat unrealistic ;-). But thank you for an answer.
    Best regards,
    Richard

2. M0BOB says:

Hi,

I am trying to install SDRSharpe on my laptop which unfortunately has Windows 8 (scream). I have tried to use the .exe file for installation, but it doesn’t work and gives me the option to open it with Internet Explorer. Can anyone help please?

Thanks,

Bob (novice with SDR).
    M0BOB.

3. Jason says:

I have recently purchased several R820T devices for experimental observations in Meteor Scatter.. Looking forward to putting these through their peaces with SDR# !

4. jpetrescu says:

Help.

The good news is that after installing MS Visual C# 2010 Express and opening the project file for SDRSharp.csproj and building the project in release mode, I did get the SDRSharp executable and the DLLs.

I copied the newly compiled executable, and DLLs, along with the libusb, libusb-1.0, msvcr100, PortAudio, sdriq, and SRDLL DLLs and the 3 license files from the working SDR# folder, and the X32 folder into a new folder. I was pleasantly surprised that when I ran SDRSharp it started. I went to the set the RTL SDR / USB and saw it was missing in the pull-down. Aha, I said. I need to uncomment the add key line in the SDRSharp.exe.config file. I did that and I get an error:

Error loading ‘SDRSharp.RTLSDR.RtlSdrIO,SDRSharp.RTLSDR’ – Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

I went back and double checked to make sure that all the files I had in my newly built SDRsharp matched the installed version I downloaded last week that does run and I did.

Not sure what to do next. Can someone help?

Thanks.

Jon kf6vma

5. dl9sec says:

Hi,
    i tried SDR# and ADSB# with a Terratec NOXON DAB/DAB+ USB dongle (rev 1) (RTL2832U/FC0013, 00CD:00B3) and a Terratec ran T Stick+ (RTL2832U/E4000, 00CD:00D7), but with both sticks i got the following error message as soon as i tried to choose “RTL-SDR / USB”: “RTL-SDR / USB is either not connected or its driver not working properly.”
    I used the latest Zadig (v2.01.169 for Vista/Win7) to create a driver on my Win7/64. Any ideas what the reason is? I’ve read in the Mikrocontroller.net forum, that this combination should work well with SDR#. With HDSDR both sticks are working well so far…
    Cheers, Thorsten DL9SEC

6. medude says:

I noticed the HD digital radio signals adjacent to many broadcast WFM signals, any plans to decode it.. :)

7. jpetrescu says:

A couple of weeks ago I purchased the dongle and installed the SDR# windows application. After a couple of false starts it looks like everything is working great.

I just downloaded the SDR# source and I’m sure there is probably some documentation on how to compile everything. Where would I find it? Before I make any source changes I want to make sure I know how to compile it and run it.

8. Hombre says:

In SDR SHARP I need to see direct entering frequency with keyboard.
    Yust type needed freq. and press Enter. There is the fastest way to jump on the new desire frequency, much much faster and easier than scrolling with mouse wheel.

9. AC0E says:

Have just joined the group. Am gathering parts for the HF up converter.
    This appears to be a very friendly and helpful bunch.

James Douglass
    Garden City, Kansas

• jpetrescu says:

Looks like maybe you read the same article in QST that I did. I would interested in finding out how available the parts are, the total cost, configuration difficulties if any, and your overall experience with the converter.

• Frank says:

Hi,
        I just received my parts…The Terratec T Plus ad well as a converter cable to allow me to connect the dongle to an external antenna. I paid $19 CAN for the dongle and a few $ for the cable. After a couple of false starts I got everything going using the easy set-up program. The software resembles the one described in the QST article but is not exactly the same.
        More TWEAKING is needed ..ie: good antenna, etc…

• jpetrescu says:

I installed the SW described in the article and it works great. The installation script worked perfectly. With the cheap antenna included with the dongle I can listen to the local FM stations and the local airport’s unicom. An outdoor antenna will do much to improve reception. I do plan on eventually building the HF converter described in the article.

I also downloaded the source and am installing VS Express 2012 as I write this. I want to make sure I can compile and run before I add my own stuff.

Jon kf6vma

• kd8qnc says:

I also read the QST article and became excited about putting together the parts of the SDR using a dongle. I’m not good at home-brewing. I bought an up-verter on the market called “Ham it up” which was an easy plug and play for HF bands. I used the script to load SDR# and it was a snap to get it on my hard drive….but it kept giving me a configuration error instead of running. After many google searches and reading a number of blogs, I learned that you MUST have .NET Framework on your PC in order for SDR# to run. I downloaded the Ver. 3.5 from Microsoft into my old WinXP based computer. It runs fine now. It doesn’t tune in HF as well as my Kenwood but for a $75.00 investment, I am very well pleased. I’m looking forward to learning what’s on the higher frequencies.

Alan KD8QNC

10. M6MDR says:

I enjoy working / listening to satellites and I’ve just recently started to dabble with SDRs and wonder how hard it would be to include some sort of doppler automation?

Not seen this in any SDR software I’ve dabbled with yet.

I know you can get softwares like multiPSK to lock onto the strongest signal when in FAX mode etc so maybe the SDR software could be programmed to keep locked on the strong signal to follow it when it shifts???

Don’t know how hard / easy It would be but it sure would be a nice addition to see.

Any satellite related addition would be good to see :) hint hint lol

73s DE M6MDR

• zaion says:

I like to listen to noaa too, and I would like to make some suggestions for future update.
      Is it possible to add the possibility to schedule a recording? For example, record in wav from 137.5MHz from 1:30AM to 1:50AM, left the pc on and go to bed (or work).
      Or record everyting from a given frequency that surpass the squelch threshold?
      Thanks for the good work.